View Single Post
Old 08-28-2006, 06:11 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
Beav,

I have the upmost respect for your mechanical abilities and long, long experiece as a mechanic. Not to detract from them at all, I think there in may lie your vehement initial reaction to the idea of putting e85 into an svx. It's very normal for those who are most versed in one way of doing things to be the most difficult to sway into something new.

It is true that when water tainted ethanol is combusted it forms formic acid which causes wear to engine parts. It is also true that over time humidity will work it's way into fuel. These are not the only drawbacks of E85 as compared to gasoline either. Ethanol isn't as lubricating as gasoline either and it is more conductive. That does not mean that every vehicle not specifically designed as a flex fuel vehicle will instantly disintegrate if e85 touches it.

The reality is somewhere in the middle. E85 is better than unleaded gasoline in some ways and has drawbacks in other ways. It certainly offers an opportunity for increased performance and there are those in the SVX community who want to explore that opportunity. There are also those who would rather use E85 because it's a domestic product and there are those who will want to use E85 if it turns out to give more miles per $. To all of these people for all of those reasons it's time to overcome the drawbacks in order to reap the benefits.

Exactly for that reason businesses are producing the solutions to overcome the drawbacks. Hoses and gaskets are now designed for use with ethanol. Additives and motor oils are being produced to nuetralize formic acid which may be produced from the combustion of ethanol with water. We are producing engine management for the SVX.

As I said earlier we are not producing an E85 conversion kit. All I am giving you is the engine management. With the many companies now engaged in providing products geared to overcome the drawbacks of using E85 I think you may find solutions not so hard to find.