Thread: Help Free Bob!
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2006, 11:02 AM
Bipa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohrds
My question is if he was perfectly happy selling it to a bar in America, why is he fighting to get Bob back? Why isn't he fighting to get Bob sold?

Maybe he plans to sell it to a middle man in another province that allows exporting of Moose heads.

What if he moved to the states, could he bring Bob with him?

So many questions...
I can see how it might be misunderstood. Under the law, if Ken Procyk accepts the offer and pleads guilty on May 19th and pays a $250 fine, then Bob is forfeited to the Crown and will probably simply be destroyed. That is the crux of the matter. Hence, folks want to "Save Bob".

There is a kind of loophole which could be applied to save Bob, however. "A thing -- (aka Bob, in this case) -- forfeited to the Crown shall be disposed of in accordance with the direction of the minister."

So Minister David Ramsay could decide not to destroy Bob and that is what the petition is really aiming at. But this clause hasn't been used in at least 25 years now, and without pressure it is unlikely that the Minister would personally intervene.

Funnily enough, had Ken simply given Bob away as a gift with no money exchanged, then everything would have been legal. And no, he can't simply sell it to another province, because it is illegal to sell to anyone unless you have a special license.

Unless the US has some laws against the importation of Moose heads, then I assume that they could be brought along as a personal possession when moving to the US.

I urge everyone to "sign" the petition.

Any more questions?