Thread: Help Free Bob!
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2006, 09:37 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipa
But Bob is innocent!
Besides, not everyone can know every law. Apparently there's an old ordinance still on the books in Milwaukee that says it is illegal to park for over two hours unless a horse is tied to the vehicle. Bet you've broken that one!

(gotta see if I can verify that law and get the exact wording and fines )
I never said I agreed with it, I was just repeating what i was told. Milwaukee has lots of old, strange laws.

It is illegal for more than 4 unrelated, unmarried women to live in the same house. It was an old anti-brothel law.

No Barberry bushes may be planted on public land. Oddly enough, city hall has a row of Barberry bushes in its garden.

The law I use to my advantage all the time is Milwaukee's definition of Jay-walking. It is worded that crossing the street within the crosswalk against the traffic lights is illegal. That means that you can cross in the middle of the street without getting a ticket as long as you stay out of the crosswalk.

Then there are the bizarre building codes. Those have since been fixed when the city adopted the standard international building codes in 2002, but here are a few examples:

We had city sewer capacity problems, but yet prior to 2002, it was illegal to divert your downspouts out of the sanitary sewer system. No rain gutters running into your garden allowed.

You were required to have a floor drain in your basement, yet it was illegal to install a check valve so sewage wouldn't back up into your basement. Most plumbers just installed the check valve after the inspector left and capped the floor drain.

There are many more related to horses, but I can't remember them right now.
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker