View Single Post
Old 03-16-2009, 08:35 PM

Re: DRL issue - need em/dont have em

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmsvx View Post
Another JDM SVX in Alberta. Welcome to this site. Which model did you get?

You can pickup a DRL module at Canadian Tire. HAMSAR is the name brand. The fellow that installed it on my car set it up to turn on the Park lights (both front and rear). Since the JDM use the city light in the high beam reflector it appears that you are running a DRL. The bulb is only a 4W bulb so it is not very bright. Mine passed inspection okay. I have since pulled the fuse from the DRL module.

CDN SVX do use the Fog light as the running light. When you turn your headlight on the fogs go off. Canadian laws only allow a total of 4 white lights to be on at a time. Your JDM will allow you to have High, Low and Fog on so this could be a problem if the outfit doing the inspection check. Check with the local guys in Edmonton that import JDM cars to see where they go for inspection as each inspection outfit will have different opinion on what they except. You should have reflector on the front (amber) corner lights as well, the corner lights on the JDM are clear, again my car passed okay, however, several JDM cars I have seen they had to add.

I will send you a PM with the outfit that did the out of province inspection on my SVX if I can find it.
I have no idea which 'model' i got. i tried to compare model specs and whatnot, but JDM is way diff than the north american info i was privy to.
Its a 91, cruise, 'suede' with leather inserts, and no sunroof

as for that "HAMSAR", i purchased one of those as well. $40 isnt a big deal.
however, i dont like all this electrical messing about i'm to do to install it. and i know theres a fuse to 'kill' it down the road, but somehow it just feels wrong to have unecessary/useless hardware under the hood.
So i thought about the problem critically for a bit, and i think this temporary fog-light rig may be the perfect solution. Assuming its as simple as i see it in my head.

Can any 'sparkies' lend their opinion on the issue?