View Single Post
Old 03-09-2012, 09:24 AM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX
Re: New 1997 SVX Owner from up North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Mike View Post
Well so far, here are my findings:

-The SVX sits low. I knew this going in, but compared to my WRX I can't believe how low the car is. I love the the 1990's low/wide stance
-Power is obviously less then the WRX since the car is much heavier and less powerful. However, being a N/A 6 the delivery is much smoother. It feels like easing on the thrust in the SVX compared to the exploding rocket of the WRX. The RX-8 was slower than both.
-With the 205/55R16 winters on the car right now handling is not great. The steering is heavy and linear which I love, but the car plows into the corners. I had a thick rear-sway bar on the WRX to help neutralize the handling (more like the RX-8) and that helped greatly. Is there a rear sway bar mod for the SVX? I haven' searched yet. Having said that, the SVX is a 20 year old design and not many cars handled back then the way cars do now thanks in part to improvements in tire technology. When I get summer tires in the spring I plan to go to 225 width on either 17's or 18's. That might help.
Yes, I'm on 225/50 spiked winters now and can't wait to mount the Pilot Exaltos. I found the steering to be very good but haven't driven any good cars before I will primarily upgrade the bushings hoping I can still retain comfort and stiffness at the same time.

Jumping into my mother in law's Avensis sedan gives me SUV vertigo when I've driven the SVX.
I'm ready to f...