View Single Post
Old 10-30-2009, 07:02 PM

Re: To Build A Track Car...

heater assembly:

use an assembly from a different vehicle!
scout around salvage yards and see what might work!

i think the best candidate would be from early 70's volvo 142/144
rather hard to find perhaps, but MINISCULE in size/weight!!!!

as for harnesses/belts...
YES use proper competition harnesses when on track, but DON'T use them on the street!!
most arent DOT approved and should u have an incident, the insurance co. can say your injuries were caused by the belts and deny coverage!!

instead, install stock subaru belts! they are cheap at a salvage yard and BOLT RIGHT INTO an svx!!

the one caveat is that depending on which model/year belts you install, the reel assembly may need to be rather vertically oriented (90 deg to the ground)
there is a check-ball inside that will lock the belt (or NOT lock the belt) when u least want it to!!

my belts are out of a 1990 legacy wagon and work fine, mine have the check-ball so i had to do a bit of neanderthal engineering to the area where it bolts in so that it stands vertically...

total weight is probably 3 -4 pounds/belt assembly...small price for comfort, convenience and legality.

oh yes, they "click" properly into the stock svx buckle too !!

i DO have a question though...

i just yanked the a/c out of my car...

if a person "split" the condenser, could you not use 1/2 of it for an oil cooler and the other 1/2 for a trans cooler?(4eat trans of course...)

it saves the weight of adding cooler(s) and its right out front in the air-flow...

seems like a clever idea....but am i missing something?

obviously, the condenser would have to be properly cleaned/flushed out first...

but can it stand the pressures involved...?

just what psi does an a/c condenser face in normal use anyway....?

i figure if a trans cooler's line can be rubber with HOSE CLAMPS...then the line pressure is moderate at best...

but what about engine oil?...if a sandwich plate is used at the oil filter, does that mean a cooler is facing full oil pressure?

just wondering...sorry for rambling on....

rob

92 ebony 4.44's rock !!