View Single Post
Old 11-14-2008, 06:26 AM

Re: Front Differential (Backlash)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo View Post
If I were you and you wanted to be done in o say a day use a whole lift. It will make the job so much easier. OT (old tom) completed the swap in 6 hours with replacing rear main seal and making a nice trip to Autozone. As far as matching it up I can't comment too much on that but I'd be skeptical to do it. For a few dollars more I was able to get a working trans and front diff together instead of attempting to mess with it. Now I have a spare transmission. Since you are willing and able to tackle this by yourself I'd go ahead and see about using a lift if possible to lift the whole car. I was able to get on Base here and use their Auto Skills shop. Very cheap total cost of tool rentals (trans jack and car lift plus other minor tools) was only 31 dollars.

But no other options it is possible I guess to use jack stands.
Good luck man its definatly not a task for the faint of heart and replace your rear main seal while your at it.

I do plan on trying to talk my boss into letting me use his floor lift to tackle this. He just needs convincing that it will only take a day or two so that it will only take up one of his bays for a saturday and maybe sunday which we are closed. I am going to borrow a tranny jack from another guys I know. The donor tranny is getting delivered to me today and I am going to start tearing into if to get feel of what I am dealing with before I remove the tranny. If this diff doesn't end up lasting me, my other option is pulling the tranny out of the claret I am currently driving. It has like 30-35K on a Subaru rebuild, so it is an option that might happen anyways as I plan on keeping the better of the two.

Another question. I know you say replace the rear seal, what others items should be replaced while I have it apart?