View Single Post
Old 11-12-2008, 01:44 PM

Arrow Front Differential (Backlash)

Hey all! New to the forum, but have been a background member gaining lots of knowledge from here. Bought my first claret in 2006 and am pretty familiar with them. I recently bought another claret from a member, SVXal, who you may all know. The car has front differential issues. As SVXal was told by the dealer who had looked at it the ring and pinion are shot and sheered. When moving this thing it is undoubtedly shot, so I am going to keep it limited to loading and unloading. I am pretty sure if you were to drive it, ignoring the crazy clunking sounds, that it would shift through the gears just fine. Seems solid and selects gears real well. I have it still loaded from my trip back from Moorhead, Mn and don't plan on moving it until I have figured a few things out. I have done some research and found it not to be a huge amount of work to remove the differential (it'll take a while, but not too difficult) however I am concerned about when completeing the install, setting the backlash. I have never set backlash personally but have enough knowledgeable colleagues who have. Only issue is getting the tool in there to measure and what not. I have a bad transmission and a good differential out of my first claret with like 125k on it and plan to use that one. It is sitting on the floor in my shop. I have read on here that just replacing the pinion and/or ring gear is a bad idea beacuse they are matched. Is that an issue putting my differential that I have now into the car I just picked up from SVXal? If so, any other ideas? If not, what other advice can anyone offer to setting this thing up to my exsisting transmission that will minimize my risk of blowing up the new diff. due to an offset?

I know this is the place to come for a question like this and any help would be greatly appreciated. Being as winter is already here I would like to get this thing setup to work on this weekend and get it replaced next week. Depending on the answers I get from here, I either have a hydraulic lift with a tranny jack and all the needed extras to work on it, or I will be doing it in my garage on jack stands.

I pulled a couple of pictures off the internet and off this forum to help me see what I am dealing with. I also included them on this post so that if someone needs to use the illustration to answer or help on this question they can do so.

Thank you in advance to all who reply to this post!

Sonny
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4EAT1.jpg (50.1 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg 4EAT5.jpg (43.7 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg Clip Out.jpg (847.9 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg Front Clip Out.jpg (758.9 KB, 132 views)