View Single Post
Old 01-22-2005, 12:52 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Quote:
Originally posted by Chiketkd
Grand Am's and Grand Prix's aren't all that bad. They don't have the rattly fiberglass body like the camaro-bird, and have decent performance for fwd cars.
Actually, it's the C4 corvette that had the fiberglass body problems. The 3rd and 4th gen f-bodies had steel and plastic, the 5th gens are all SMC composite. Though i'm sure the 3rd gens that still run these days probably rattle like mad.

Both Mandi's Grand Am and my GTP felt like BMWs compared to the four different SVX's i've ridden in.

Quote:
Originally posted by Landhsark
my SVX is going to need its second repair in 3 years. first, a bad $80 coil pack, and now a $35 power antenna mast. not too shabby. at 70,000 miles, my old Lumina was literally falling apart.
My GTP had 132,000 miles on it when i sold it, and the only thing i fixed on it was the intake manifold gasket. Of course, it needed timing belts and brakes and such...and they (the belts) were expensive because of the POS Honda DOHC motor...but that's considered routine. Mandi's Grand Am is approaching 60k and has needed nothing but a lightbulb (i have the maintenance records from the dealer it was serviced at with the previous owner).

So what?

Quote:
Originally posted by NapaBavarian
If the safty of a given car dosn't matter why dont we get rid of seat belts, after all they don't gaurantee you will survive and in a few rare cases may worsten the injury. Same for airbags, if misused they can kill(mostly the old ones), so lets can those so ignorant people dont hurt themselves. Hey, non of the safty features will mean that you will survive, get rid of all of them and make cars less expensive!
The chances of a person getting struck by lightning are less than the chances of a person taking a crap and finding a $100 bill in the toilet, but do you stand near tall metal structures during thunderstorms? I sure don't.

Quote:
It may not bother you that acording to hwysaftey.org the driver fatality rate in mandys car is 150% of average and your bird is 300% of average. You have every right to drive what you want, but you specifically said that GM is just as safe as anything else before you said it dosn't matter anyway.
Quote:
Originally posted by thundering02
I kinda hate stepping in now but are they comparing these numbers to the types of idiots driving them...? namely camaro-birds are generally redneck beer drinkin leadfooted types, where as the the smaller (or less powerful) cars that have smaller slower accidents to cause less damage in the accednt un less involved with the aforementioned. (btw no offense to anoybody just more of a generalisation)
Nuff said.

Compare the fatality rate for the WRX STi to the rate for the regular Impreza, same concept.

Quote:
I don't come up with an opinion and look for evidence to back it up, I look at a broad range of evidence, hopefully from multiple sources, and spend time geting to understand it, then come to an unbiased conclusion.
And this is what everyone should do. The problem is, to form a truly un-biased opinion, you need to get your information from un-biased sources. The internet is just not the way to do that.