View Single Post
Old 09-22-2013, 06:24 PM

Re: How do I pull the engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
Do you have to use the Subaru brand coolant and the conditioner?
No. But the Subaru Long Life Coolant is a phosphate (non-amine) type and is specially formulated for all Subaru vehicles equipped with aluminum engines and radiators. Adding Subaru Cooling System Conditioner.as an additive is also my recommendation. It helps prevent coolant leaks and gasket problems. My 2010 Outback has been running this stuff for the past 200,000 miles and the dealer said there was no reason to change it. I believe it is a 5-year coolant. I will probably change it in the spring.

How much coolant does it hold?
Total capacity is 7.9 qts. (just under 2 gallons)

Is it safe to reuse coolant? I have no idea when the last time it was changed was.
If you have no idea when it was done, be on the safe side and change it. With all the time and effort you put into pulling the engine, this is the least risky alternative and not. You can get it pre-mixed (50/50) or mix your own, If you mix your own, deionized water is preferred or distilled water.

It's like tearing down an engine to replace the water pump. Take off the timing belt and it looks good and you have had no driveability issues, but you didn't know how old the timing belt was. Would you install a new one or just put the old one back on and button it up? Same exact amount of labor and cheaper to do it now than have to do all it again. Same with the thermostat.

It is never cheaper to do anything the second time.
Ya alright, that's probably smart considering I don't have any cooling problems and I want to keep it that way,

one bottle of that conditioner treats the whole cooling system right?

Thanks for all your info