View Single Post
Old 06-24-2010, 02:53 PM

Re: Building an engine dyno.

I was talking to someone in the know and they suggested that one of the challanges I will have is getting the dyno retarder operatiing at a load matching the engine in such a way that I can hold a constant revs. In other words if I am tuning the engine and I want it to hold say 4,000 rpm as I make the tuning changes the retarder needs to adjust to the new load.

So this leads me to the the problem of how I am going to manage this.
1st - way is to buy a off the shelf board from one of the existing Dyno builders but this will have its own set of challanges.
2nd - way is to use a PLC (programiable logic controller) write code for it to operate with a set PID. This method will give the greatest flexiability longterm but will take a bit of time and cost.
3rd - method and may be the simplist is to use the cruise controller from the half cut. Its just a matter of picking up a pulse rate simular in type and the same frequency range as the speedo then use the cable output to control the Varic dial this will change the voltage being feed to the retarder. In tern the load will be changed. As I think about this I may still be able to get flexiability to make changes to the revs at the same time by seting and resetting the cruise controler.

Now I just need to find out how many pulse per rev of the wheel. Anyone know?
Have a great day.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.

Last edited by Dessertrunner; 06-24-2010 at 02:56 PM.