View Single Post
Old 03-09-2010, 03:11 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: Am I being paranoid about posting VIN?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post

The level of approval and security measures I have to take to send an internal HR client a short list of employees that happens to have their full birthdate (month, day, year) is amazing.

Yet almost everyone on my Friends list on Facebook has their full birthdate listed right there on their profile.

It's all relative to someone's preference and level of paranoia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhopp77 View Post
Actually, I can't throw to many stones. You will notice that my birth date is not posted in my personal information and it's not because I am trying to hide my age.

And--I held out for a very long time on providing my vehicle information on here. But, that was not because of privacy, it was because at first the information was not available to anyone except the administrators. Showing my VIN or license plate on here does not bother me in the least.

Lee
You don't have to be paranoid but it helps.

A percentage of bad eggs are out to get us, so we need to be a percentage paranoid.

I concur with both posts above. I don't put my date of birth on anything. I'm not shy, but it is one of the primary keys for accessing your information, or for cloning your identity.

Another thing that alarms and bothers me is when people publish straight [unencoded] email addresses or telephone numbers.

In relation to VIN numbers and those who are sensitive about them; we ask for the numbers in order to complete the Register for later classic status for our SVX cars. Anybody who does not want your VIN published, just say so.

We will register your VIN in the records and keep it absolutely private. Or we can blank out certain numbers or letters in published lists to keep the low lifes guessing. Half private, if you catch my drift.

It's your call. We appreciate you forwarding the information. If you want it kept off the public record, just say so. That will not in any way compromise the reason for keeping the records.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl