View Single Post
Old 08-29-2005, 01:06 PM
SVX Appeal

Text files should be in text, rich text, or html. Images should be in JPEG. If you have the right software and you know what you're doing, you can put text in JPEGs too. If it isn't done right, it'll be very difficult to read. Microsoft had a format way back in the day that was very similar to what Acrobat uses, but except for the built-in text recognition, it was better. The file sizes were much smaller, and just about everything was scalable without compromising quality, much like true-type fonts. I didn't even know it existed until I was send a CAD drawing in that format and had to find a viewer for it. That was years ago, and now I can't remember what the heck it was called. I guess it doesn't matter anyway, because it never caught on. I've heard that Mr. Gates is going after Acrobat though, so maybe I'll see it again under a new name.

If you have multi-page documents that are mixed text and imagery, Acrobat is the way to go. It still sucks, but for compatibility reasons it's a necessary evil. Unfortunately Adobe knows they have the market by the horns. All their products have great functionality, but are poorly written, slow loading, slow running, memory hogging, computer crashing spaghetti code.