Thread: brake fluid
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2003, 10:39 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Thanks, Beav....should have stayed with "tend to attract water" and not trusted my questionable spelling skills
I went out and checked the fluid I bought from AutoZone and it's Valvoline's "SynPower - synthetic formula". Reading the label closely, it is actually a DOT 3/4 fluid that "Meets and exceeds specification SAE J1703, FMVSS No. 116 and DOT 4 Motor Vehicle Brake Fluid. Surpasses Federal Motor Vehicle DOT 4 requirements. Mixes with conventional brake fluids." It has a high dry-boiling point - up to 502 deg F. So, I guess I got caught up in the marketing on the label. Still looks like the best fluid I can find, short of going to a DOT 5 and changing out hardware.
Thanks again!!
-Bill

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
You'll have nothing to gain and a lot to lose by changing to synthetic. DOT1,2,3 &4 are not compatible with DOT 5 (synthetic.) This means that every rubber part in the system must first be replaced and all the remaining steel parts thoroughly flushed. Yes, there are rubber parts in the ABS pump, so plan on either deleting it from the system or buying a brand new one. Then again, anyone that needs DOT5 wouldn't want an ABS system as repeated testing has shown over and over that ABS systems don't/won't stop as fast as non-ABS systems.

BTW, not to pick nits but the proper word is 'hygroscopic'. As I recall DOT5 is even more susceptible to moisture than DOT4. You may want to check into that, I have been wrong once or twice before.

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker