Thread: I hate worms...
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2007, 07:32 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Angry I hate worms...

Last night I got a call from Melis, she was driving my SVX and it lost power and started bellowing large clouds of smoke. The engine was still running, but none of the gears would move the car and there was red fluid dripping all over the place

After making sure that she was OK, and the car was safely off the road, I grabbed some lights, some tools and some ATF and headed out. Going over everything in my head and while talking to her on the way there, I was guessing that one of the lines leading out of the trans sprung a leak. The guy that helped push the car off the road, said that he was a mechanic and it "was definately a dead transmission"

I got there and looked down and the hose had completely slipped off of the output from the trans. I slip it back on and try to tighten the worm screw hose clamp. It won't tighten, the damn thing stripped.

I dig another clamp out of my parts bag and fasten the hose. Then add a gallon of ATF. And drive it away

I just checked the clamps about a month ago before we left for the dragon, I bought them new when I swapped this trans in about a year ago...
I've had those stupid clamps fail while tightening, but this is the first that I've had one fail while in use. I have always preferred the Subaru type clamps, but many times I can't reuse them since they twist apart when you remove them. Well I stopped at the dealer today and got these;

I'll be replacing clamps tomorrow. No more worms for me