View Single Post
Old 01-07-2002, 11:19 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Re: The cons of street racing

Quote:
Originally posted by EverclearAtMSU

Can you send me some more info about that? Like times, and where it's located.

I dont know if I like to street race so much as it's against the rules, but more for the rush and the thrill of going really fast and being slamed into my seat by the acceleration. That may be some subconcious aspect of it that I dont realize.

I personally have been involved in a few races inwhich one of the drives, once me, have been envolved in a pretty bad accident. Fortunatly no one ever went to the hospital or 6ft under. And for that I do consider myself lucky to have only caused a few thousand dollars worth of damage to my old car. But because of it I do consider myself a better driver. Maybe there should be a manditory "get in an acident" part to drivers ed. I remember watching the crash videos and falling asleep. Lets let the lil kiddies jump a curb at 60mph, or slam into another car, that will wake them up. Just so long as no one gets hurt.
http://www.milandragway.com/

Seems that they are closed for the winter, but they do have open events on Wednesday and Friday nights. It's on 23. I'm at exit 31, and I think it's one exit South of that.

I got into a couple of accidents within a couple years of getting my license. One was pretty bad, but luckily neither my brother nor I were hurt.

Of course, now I look at my brother all grown up, a brilliant engineer...and I can't help but say to myself, 'what was I THINKING?'

And the short answer is that I wasn't. Power is intoxicating, and there's little more that's more empowering to a kid than being handed the keys to a car.

I got into a street race with an Olds Alero, of all things, some time ago, shortly after I bought my SVX. Yes, I proved my automotive superiority - but it was on a busy freeway in heavy traffic and even across a very tall bridge. I hit speeds of up to 115mph.

That was incredibly, terribly stupid. Take it to a track or an autocross where everyone involved knows what they've gotten themselves into.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE