View Single Post
Old 07-22-2003, 05:50 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Re: AWD or NOT?!?!?!?

Quote:
Originally posted by iyamwutiam
Thought this may be the best place for this question.

I was reading thru the Japanese/European versus American models of SVX's and I guess I was VERY disappointed to realize/read that our SVXs are actually front wheel drives with rear wheel assists!?!?

Is this true - this would make it a very disappointing car to me - and can you do anything like change differentials or anything to make it a true awd?

Are those Japanese/European transmissions available here ?
YES you are correct.
All the SVX american models with AutoTRans are always FWD with a rear wheel assist. The degree of rear wheel assist depends on if there is front wheel slip and or the throttle opening (TPS) and or engine load and a few other things.

When the gas peddle is pushed to the floor the SVX is 50/50 AWD with full transfer clutch pressure but the transfer clutches will still slip when turning a corner. They have to.

I was thinking as you.... How do I get a non USA trans? But then how would I get parts? Who would fix it? So I don't think about it any more.

Now consider this. Auto or manual, there is no front to rear diff. Are you aware that when a car turns a corner the rear wheels are on smaller turning radius than the front wheels? This is just basic geometry. The rear axle must turn at a slower speed than the front axle when a Subaru turns a corner. There is no f/r diff in a Subaru. Because there is no f/r diff, the transfer clutch pack must slip to compensate for the difference in the f/r axle speeds.

Now this might seem like a not so good thing but you actually end up with all four wheels turning the same speed if you stomp on the accelerator pedal. This tends to push the rear of the car faster into an over steer while turning.

Now look at the other case where the there is a f/r diff such as on USA 4x4's. It this case the front or rear axles can spin becasue the f/r diff will allow it. Ask a few owners about snow traction on hills from a standing start.

Also consider for the SVX that most of the weight is on the front wheels so they will not slip as quickly as the rear wheels. It is really a good system but Subaru has "simplified" the explaination.

The other non USA trans is very complicated. There is a whole other planetary gear set. Much more expensive.

You may also like to know, that one of the SVX owners removed the front axles and welded the transfer clutch shaft and drum together to make a ...a...a... rear wheel drive SVX IDNR who it is but the locker has a picture of the rear wheels smokin in a burn out. Not much weight on the rear end and kiss snow traction good-by.

You could also install a switch with a resistor for solenoid "C" to put the trans in 50/50 AWD but the transfer clutches may go by-by, depending on how often you turn corners.

If you have questions about your SVX handling consider that your RWD may not be working properly.