View Single Post
Old 06-27-2003, 06:31 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
What you say is right Phil, but there are other more fundamental differences.

Mine, like yours, is JDM spec, although mine is basic spec. Among the things I do not have on mine are cruise, all leather seats, ABS brakes, sunroof, headlamp washers.

In compensation, I do have the suede [actually ecsaine] seat inserts. I much prefer these, not so hot in summer, not so slippy for spirited driving, or in an accident [see Countess' description of her rear end shunt Down Under]

The one thing I really really miss from the UK spec is glass headlights. Tried to buy some from crashed cars, but they usually get broken.

Harvey from Down Under has done a study of the gearboxes, I think he may have access to a US workshop manual, and an Australia one. Major difference in the gearboxes. US cars come primarily with a fwd gearbox which has a transfer clutch tacked on at the back sending some power to the rear wheels. Japanese and Euro cars have the full monte AWD box, which can apportion the torque split internally from commands at the TCU.

The supposed reason for this is to allow the testing of the cars in the US on a 2-wheel dyno rig, using the device of removing the FWD fuse, which effectively disconnects the rear transfer clutch, and turns the car into front-wheel-drive. As you know, removing the fuse from that position in ours locks the diff, I presume 50/50, and would only be useful in snow or muck.

There are probably other small differences. In the US, the side part of the rear lights assembly also lights up, ours don't.

Anyone notice other differences?

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl