Thread: AWD Binding
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2006, 12:33 AM

Registered SVX
Stick with it Tom,

The TPS does not directly control the solenoid as you no doubt realise, but does so via the TCU, so that you should check it carefully so as to rule it out of the equation. Refer the simple method I wrote up for the “how to” section. Measure the voltage by sticking a needle or pin through the wire as I suggest.

You may think this overkill, but this is good advice. Make notes as you go along, writing down each test or check you make. I know how confused one can become ( I always fall into this trap.) with this sort of issue and it is not easy to be sure what has and has not been checked, as the path gets long and involved. Especially when the project has to be attacked in dribs and drabs.

Your test light measurement will be spot on and has a distinct advantages as resistance in the circuit is likely to show, when it would not using a sensitive meter. Have no concern in this regard.

It is quite possible that the voltage at pin 3 does not return after closing the throttle due to the TCU “holding the instruction”, if you get my meaning. After releasing the accelerator, turn the ignition of and on again, without touching the accelerator, see if the voltage returns. If it does, I think you can assume all is as it should be and what I suggest applies. If not, you could be onto something.

The FWD drive light is another issue. I have a problem in that the manuals I have cover the non US set up, whereby the fuse locks the front and rear for AWD, rather than disconnects the rear drive, but it would seem that the solenoid control is the same. It would appear that this indicator light is directly on the FWD control circuit which could mean that this circuit became live from the fuse end, or alternatively through a back feed from the TCU. Did you by any chance have the fuse left in the holder and nearly connecting ? If nothing is untoward on that side, you must get back to suspecting the TCU.

Don’t get frustrated, get mad, put your teeth into it and try to make the challenge fun. However proceed logically and not like a bull at a gate like some !! The answer is there and you have the brains to find it.

All the very best, Trevor *<)

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!