View Single Post
Old 10-29-2003, 08:25 PM

Blew my Engine,Part 2

I want to thank-you all for your reply to my problem,I greatly appreciate the support at this time.
Sorry David(Earthworm)but I have not been able to get in touch with you. I sent you 3 e-mails since we met at the Garden City Auto-Show. I want to talk to you and your Dad about this problem. The detail of my last e-mail to you are included here.

I am wondering if my SVX engine is really that bad. The following are some details and questions I have about the SVX.
1. My SVX was in very good condition and I thought it would run for years as I have kept up and exceeded all the maintenance. with 193,000 Km. when the noise began.

2. I was driving to the dealer on the highway, on the road for only 10 min. when it shut down, I immediately turned it off.

3.The serviceman said the belt melted because the waterpump seized and the belt just spun around (slipping) causing a mess.

4.The rad. cracked in half and was replaced along w/ waterpump,themostat, timing belt, idler bearing etc.

5. After all that when the serviceman said "short Block" $3655.
I stopped the work and sent it home basically.

Questions: Would an aluminum engine not withstand 10 min. w/o
coolant ?
They did not test the engine but did say they would have to do a compression test, which sounds resonable.
What I wonder is would the computer shut down the SVX until it was reset? The SVX has a limp-home mode. Could the shut-down kicked something out ? The oil is clean and clear for example.

I asked the serviceman if they checked the codes and he said there were none flashing.

If the cylinders were scored could one not get them bored out and put new rings or pistons in an SVX. there are lots of good machine shops around.

Thank You in advance for any info. on this matter.
Bye for now...........Ralph

Thanks to "Strictly Subaru" for the engine offer, I hope that I don't need a compleate engine but yours would be an option.