View Single Post
Old 02-17-2011, 06:34 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to alia176
Re: Fluctuating blower motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
Could simply be an alternator problem... Does it fluctuate when you are driving steadily down the road. The "bearings in the blower are bronze bushings that are made to absorb oil from a wick, not roller or ball bearings. When the wick runs out of oil, there could be a problem of fluctuating blower rpm because of the extra heat causing the bearing to grip the rotor shaft. Normally it would not make additional sounds unless the wear was so excessive that the rotor actually was dragging.
Driving steady and observing the same think would give you a better clue. Idling rpm with would probable make the alternator more suspect.

Good luck,
Keith
I have some more data points from driving the car out of town for work in the last couple of days.

- setting the speed on low or med has no effect on the blower oscillation (better word that fluctuations, I think). Still oscillates.

- setting the speed on high, the blower is a steady high speed. However, you can still make out the dimming of the HVAC indicator lights.

- start car, setting on ECON, drive for about five min on hwy, results in the system correcting itself. But this seems to be a hit and miss.

- setting on VENT, speed on LOW/MED - same oscillations.

Also, my batt voltage is spot on during engine ON so I'm ruling out the ALT.

Yes the blower does fluctuate while driving steadily down the road. Adding more load to the ALT doesn't seem to effect the symptom.

This is not a blower bushing issue because if it was I'd think there should be a difference in pitch of the blower sound. Still, I'll pull the amps during operation to see if it's pulling higher amps than normal. I'll also drop some 3 in 1 oil just to rule it out for sure.

Ground? Could be a possibility. A bad ground can cause all sorts of headaches and a PITA to troubleshoot.

Can someone tell me how to pull the HVAC code pls?

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E

Last edited by alia176; 02-17-2011 at 06:45 AM.