View Single Post
Old 01-20-2003, 09:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
Ok, so what do I add to my parts order to get everything necessary done? I'm guessing new dust seals, pins & guides, and this seal? I also ordered new shoes for the emergengy brakes, but are there any other small parts that I sould replace while I'm in there? I'd hate to skimp on a $0.50 part and have to redo the labor again later.

FYI: I just placed an order for the following items for a major overhaul I'm planning to do very soon. Suspension and tranny work is on the back burner while I start looking for a backup SVX. Does anyone have any suggestions as to other minor items of interest for a 180K mile overhaul?

timing belt
water pump
radiator hoses
cam & crank seals
bearings & o-rings for PS pump
and a few assorted clips, seals, clamps, bolts, etc...

KuoH

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
The seal inside the caliper is 'square-cut', in other words its cross section isn't round like a normal 'o'-ring but square-faced. When hydraulic pressure is applied the piston is forced outward and the drag of the piston against this square-cut 'o'-ring causes it tip/slant/follow along (if the piston was traveling to the left, below the following lines, the 'o'-ring would move from this: |_| to this: /_/ ) When the hydraulic pressure is relieved the 'o'-ring relaxes to its natural state and retracts the piston to its original position. Now, you can imagine that there isn't much retraction force working here, so any build-up of gunk, etc. inside the caliper inhibits the amount of retraction. That's why rebuilding the calipers at each brake job, and/or flushing the brake fluid every couple years is recommended.