Thread: Tire pressure
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2006, 08:48 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikFu S.
Separation of what?
When?

You can tell if they are as low as 25lbs, and no one with sense would over pump their tires by 20-30lbs.

These tires are tall enough the sidewalls flare at less than 36psi. I could tell by looking at my front left tire it was low. I went to the pump and it was indeed 4-5lbs low. I brought it up to 40psi, which is what Sears filled it to when they installed them.

I assumed we were talking to people that aren't stupid about tires.
Based on years of experience racing cars on normal production tyres I believe I can state with authority :-

Published figures are only a very broad guide and should not be strictly adhered to. These figures can at best be nothing more than a guide.

Factors relating to, car weight, loading, road surfaces, city commuting/highway driving, racing, driver preferences, wear factor, rim width, etc. all come into the equation. The sales pitch of sellers is of no account, the wear factor being their major interest.

Observing the side wall deflection most certainly IS a very good method of accessing the results of ones judgement. It is a true indication of the expected deflection of the side walls. An accurate final assessment and choice can not be made by anyone other than the driver. Accepted that this should be made intelligently.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!