View Single Post
Old 01-06-2005, 11:53 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Originally posted by dcarrb

Actually, unless you live in the tropics, you WANT it in series, as Joe posted. Like this: transmission> external filter> supplemental cooler> in-radiator (stock) cooler> transmission. When it's truly cold, the stock cooler will warm the ATF on its way back to the tranny. With an add-on cooler bypassing the stock cooler altogether, the ATF may not warm sufficiently to allow torque converter lockup in cold weather.

In short, the function of the stock cooler is not so much to literally "cool" the transmission fluid as it is to maintain its temperature within normal operating range.

As I said, Capuano, opinions are apt to vary on matters where there are no absolutes. Confused yet?

dcb
I can tell you from first hand experience that if the external ATF cooler is in series with the radiator cooler (which can both cool and warm the ATF depending on the ATF temp), the ATF will not warm up enough to consistently lock the TC on the highway in cold weather. With my setup which had the external cooler in series with the radiator cooler, any time the temperature dropped below 45F, the TC would not stay locked on the highway. When the TC was unlocked, the ATF would warm up enough to allow the TC to lock. But once the TC locked, the ATF would quickly cool down, and the TC would unlock again. The cycle would just repeat endlessly. And if it got cold enough, the TC would never lock at all. My final solution before I switched over to the 5MT was to install a by-pass thermostat on the ATF line going to/from the external cooler. That actually worked great in the wintertime. The combination of the thermostat and the external cooler would regulate the ATF temperature right at 150F.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.