View Single Post
Old 11-12-2007, 05:14 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroneko_sama View Post
im not interested in the butterfly or scissor wing simply because its been done. and i feel i should have seen the sliding door by now.
OK, that's a good point, it has already been done.

I have a sliding door on one side of my Mitsubishi RVR. It's very useful in that it does not open out and hit cyclists etc, plus it does not catch on the kerb.

Bad points include the fact that it could hit you while filling the petrol if somebody got out of the car to go to the shop while you were filling up, say. Another bad point is that it hangs from an upper and lower runner. Unlike a hinged door which is firmly clasped [no movement] at both hinges and at the lock when closed, when the sliding door is in closed position there is room for the weight of the door to move. This allows movement and vibration when traveling over bad surfaces, and very annoying squeeking of the sealing rubber.

In relation to your idea for sliding the SVX doors, this Mitsubishi door is approx half the length, front to rear, of our SVX door. And I suspect maybe one third of the weight

You face serious engineering challenges to make such a system work on our cars if the doors are to open back far enough to allow entry to the front, never mind to the rear seats

The best of luck with it.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl