View Single Post
Old 11-15-2005, 05:44 PM
Hitchhikin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohrds
There never will be a true democracy, it is a Utopian dream.

BTW: What governments give freedoms to the minorities while taking it away from the majority? I can't imagine that government lasting too long.

Doug
The empires and monarchies of the old Western Europe lasted a pretty long time... Maybe my nomenclature was not clear... I was not referring to a racial or ethnic minority, but rather a politically powerful and/or wealthy minority, much like the princes of Saudi Arabia today, or the communist party leaders in China, Korea, and Russia. One person's freedom will interfere with another person's freedom. My freedom to beat someone senseless on the street limits their freedom to walk around without being harmed. So, societies tend to limit an individual's freedoms when they infringe on others' freedoms. I just feel that the US is above average on equalizing freedoms like these as compared to, say, a communist government (I hate to even call it communist, because the "communist" governments of today fail to operate as a true communism should), which severely limits the freedoms of the majority to allow the minority in power extensive freedoms.