View Single Post
Old 01-14-2004, 09:07 AM

I wouldn't characterize it as so much "technically hard" to do as really tedious. All you need for removal is a 19mm crows-foot, 6" extension, & a 3/8" drive ratchet. To install the new one I used some stiff wire that I formed into a loop to hold the PCV valve in place (with one hand) so I could use my finger tips (other hand) to get the threads started. Then simply tighten back up.

Tedious, because progress with the crows-foot is slow, turn about 1/8 turn (one face), remove and set back on, turn again, etc. Also getting the hose on & off was a pain. Of course all this is done while stretched out over the engine, so do it with the engine cold (besides the intake is aluminum anyway). I have to admit I almost abandoned the job because I didn't think I could get the old one to come loose without rounding the faces - thought maybe I'd have to take the intake off. But I took a few minutes break, came back to it and all went well. BTW, I wrapped teflon tape on the new one to ease with getting it back in - not sure if this is recommended or not, but I've had no issues in about 20K miles since. Also might want something magnetic to get the crows-foot from "down there" if it falls of the rachet extension (happened once to me).