Thread: Rotors and pads
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2014, 08:55 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
Re: Rotors and pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX_MY_BABY View Post
My dad put EBC Red stuff ceramic on his Jag XF. Instant stopping power to the point of being touchy. They grab hard on his car.
How did the Reds do in the cold? I know the Yellows tend to be grabby when cold but still have a long stopping distance until they warm up. Maybe the data I saw showed that they didn't play nice with the ABS when cold.

There is a lot of confusing information out there. For example, forums I have read had most people agreeing that the Carbon-Metallic performance pads like the Hawk HPS and the ones from Performance Friction don't stop well when cold but are pretty good when warm. However, the data shown here (http://blog.caranddriver.com/perform...c-yellowstuff/) shows the Hawk HPS as doing well on the first cold stop but fading quickly. I don't really care too much about the fading but the cold stop data conflicts with what people are reporting. Aramid based pads like the Stoptech Street Performance pads also have similar comments about their cold stopping ability not being great. My personal experience has been that ceramic pads have nice features with regards to durability, being easy on rotors and not creating dust but that they don't stop that well in general. The semi-metallic Brembo pads on my Acura stop GREAT and don't show a strong temperature dependence. That makes me lean toward semi-metallic. The problem is that there is a general belief that semi-metallics are more prone to overheating and depositing crap on the rotors which is what leads to the judder I am trying to avoid. All of this is why the EBC Ultimax pads seem to be a nice compromise. They are semi-metallic so they have the grip charateristics I am looking for but they also claim to have done something to eliminate judder.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything