Thread: 87 Octane
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2009, 01:12 PM

Re: 87 Octane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steele View Post
So... I recently bought a '92 SVX, and I need to get some info. I tried searching and found little that was useful.

In interior Alaska, you can buy diesel fuel anywhere. There is not a single fuel station I have seen that does not sell diesel, unlike down in the states. The tradeoff, though, is the frequent lack of high-octane gasoline; and, while I am readily able to buy $4.45/gallon diesel for my pickup, I sometimes have difficulty finding $3.75/gallon high-octane for my new car.

So, the question is, what can I do to the car to allow it to run reliably and safely on 87-octane fuel? Is there an additive available? A way to adjust the timing easily? A magic carburetor that Detroit doesn't want me to know about?

Another question, somewhat unrelated... Is there anything special worth doing to an SVX that will be driven in extreme cold? Temperatures as low as, say, -60F? It's been "winterized," which means that it has the normal assortment of engine and accessory heaters. Are there special considerations for the transmission or engine that a different model car wouldn't need?

H
The best, easiest, cheapest, way I know of to retard the timing to run 87 is to get the ECUtune Stage 1 chip. Ive been told it retards the timing 5 degrees to safely run 87 or for use with nitrous or f/i. I plan on using it if I go nitrous or f/i (once I get the rest of the car back up to par.) You could also put in octane boosters, but it'd be cheaper in the long run to just get the chip. If you have all the normal things to "winterize" a vehicle in such a way that everyone else does, you should be fine as far as I know.

Last edited by y2daniel1981; 09-03-2009 at 01:16 PM.