Thread: 87 Octane
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2009, 01:03 PM

Registered SVX
87 Octane

So... I recently bought a '92 SVX, and I need to get some info. I tried searching and found little that was useful.

In interior Alaska, you can buy diesel fuel anywhere. There is not a single fuel station I have seen that does not sell diesel, unlike down in the states. The tradeoff, though, is the frequent lack of high-octane gasoline; and, while I am readily able to buy $4.45/gallon diesel for my pickup, I sometimes have difficulty finding $3.75/gallon high-octane for my new car.

So, the question is, what can I do to the car to allow it to run reliably and safely on 87-octane fuel? Is there an additive available? A way to adjust the timing easily? A magic carburetor that Detroit doesn't want me to know about?

Another question, somewhat unrelated... Is there anything special worth doing to an SVX that will be driven in extreme cold? Temperatures as low as, say, -60F? It's been "winterized," which means that it has the normal assortment of engine and accessory heaters. Are there special considerations for the transmission or engine that a different model car wouldn't need?

H