View Single Post
Old 02-05-2007, 02:27 AM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Site requests/ideas

Congrats, "RSVX" Chris! Thank you for your time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
To do list notes:
Anyone else have some requests/ideas?
Since you asked, here are a few:

Make message edit box wider
There are some easy changes you can make to the vBulletin config files that will allow message edit boxes to be as wide as possible. As it is currently it's about 1/4 to 1/3 the width of the screen. Makes editing a post that contains a long URL difficult.

See the first few posts in this thread on another forum (then jump to post #20) for the fix.

[Added: I'm refering to the "advanced" editor]

Fix locker pictures filenames
There are a bunch of images in the lockers that somehow lost their .JPG extension (perhaps other extensions too). I seem to recall this happened around the time of a software or hardware change, when lockers were unavailable for awhile, but I may be remembering wrong.

When you try to view these files, the browser only wants to download the file rather than immediately viewing it (and once it's on a PC, Windows has to ask which app to use to open the file).

One caveat if you do this - you probably ought to locate posts that point to the bad filenames, and make corresponding edits in the posts.

Devise a way to post links in lockers
Earl has uploaded a few Word docs and PDFs in the How-To locker that simply serve as a way to direct people to URLs outside of this site. It would be more efficient (save a little bandwidth), if one could "upload" a link in their locker. Clicking on it would take you straight to the target URL.

Perhaps the image could be a thumbnail that the user uploads, or one of a few different canned icons (or a single, standard icon that will symbolize "external link").

Users should still be able to write their own caption, as they can now.

Use external photo storage sites
I've started migrating the photos I use in posts to ImageShack.us. Photobucket is a similar storage site. To save bandwidth (and thus monthly expenses), why not encourage other users to do this too?

Could the process be automated? The users would still upload to their lockers similar to how it happens now. Behind the scene, the server would store the file locally (to archive in case of problems), but then post to one of the image host sites and link there for display (both thumbnail and full-size). ImageShack actually offers this service, for free.

Even if you had to pay the storage site for "enhanced" service, that might work out cheaper than the extra bandwidth you'd otherwise need for this site.

Last edited by SVXdc; 02-05-2007 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Corrected ImageShack's URLs