View Single Post
Old 09-10-2003, 05:36 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Oil be back

Peter

They are bound to be slow, even reluctant, to tell you that Mobil 1 ATF SHC is suitable for the SVX.

The car is rare. Even Subaru main dealers know practically nothing about it. There is no easy or quick place for them to find the information for an endorsement. On top of this the transmission was designed and built in Japan by Aisan, and I am willing to bet that precious few of those guys speak English or Czech or Dutch or German.

Underlying all this, the owner's manual recommends Dexron 11 oil for the transmission.

All fully synthetics are graded Dexron 111. [somebody correct me please if I am wrong on this]

In theory, going to Dexron 111 is going to a higher grade which exceeeds the specification laid down for Dexron 11. In practise, on older cars, using the fully synthetic after years of using the standard oil, the synthetic tends to be thinner, finds damaged seals and causes leaks. The oil people know this, and will only give a recommendation that it is OK after they have checked with the tranny manufacturer that it will cause no problems.

Now can you see why they are slow to return with a positive reply??

Joe

PS Good to hear from you guys. Hi Kusi, how are things in Swatchville??
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl