View Single Post
Old 06-04-2007, 02:49 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha
I may be a little premature here, but I think that I've figured out and solved the problem of why the interface doesn't work on the 92 models.

My theory is that the ECU is sending the correct data, but the signal is being randomly corrupted due to electrical noise on the data lines. But I have neither the skills nor the tools to prove this. I reckon that it must have caused problems for Subaru too because it's fixed in the later models.

An electronics expert might be able to modify the interface circuit (or the ECU) to be less suseptible to this noise (if that's what the problem is). But I'm not an electronics expert, I'm a software guy
OK. I haven't solved the problem and it's driving me nuts.

Sometimes the data quality is not too bad. Like on Friday night I could pick out one good response every dozen or so bad ones. I could work with that, and so could the VWRX software.

On Saturday it was the same. Using the Friday night technique, I managed to copy the first 32K of the ECU address space to disk. It took nine hours though and flattened my battery. Unfortunately the most interesting part is the last 16K which I didn't get.

But on Sunday Morning, after recharging the battery, it was futile. There was no good data at all coming back from the ECU. Just pages and pages of random crap. No software could possibly do anything with that. Sunday evening it was a little better. I managed to get about 4K of good data from over the space of 3 hours but then it went back to random crap again.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II