View Single Post
Old 07-12-2003, 03:38 PM
flynavy

water temp sensor

okay well i've had this problem with a tricky check engine light for about the past year. problem is it would come and go but never set long enough to run the self diagnosis and get some fault codes. last week that changed and it stayed lit every time i drove. i ran the test and it failed for the throttle position sensor and the water temp sensor. made sense since the idle would be rough when i first started up and for the first few minutes of driving the engine would be slow responding to the gas. anyway, i began with the throttle sensor. rather than paying $155 for a new one i went to radio shack and bought a five dollar can of electrical contact cleaner and to my surprise it worked. thanks for all the great info on here by the way.....marking the sensor before i took it off and especially about the small hole in the bottom to spray the cleaner without taking it apart. i thought i was in the clear...the light was out. however this week it's back again...on and off. the good thing is that it is throwing a code up....the water temp sensor. i looked on subaruparts.com and saw the part but was a little confused as to where it is. since it's fairly cheap i just want to replace it. does anyone know where exactly it's located and how hard it is to replace. mind you i have gone tow to toe with the pcv in the past and survived...just wanted to know if there's any tips.

thanks in advance for the help. the only thing i love more than my svx is this site!!