View Single Post
Old 02-12-2005, 11:44 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Re: Powerchip for OBDII owners

Quote:
Originally posted by alltrac
I read svx1997 thread. He mentioned his 97 SVX was chipped by powerchip. I contacted them about their online catalog listing the same part number for all years of the SVX. I was worried about OBDII compatibility. Here is the response I received.

Thank you for inquring. You are absolutely correct. They do have different control modules. Our part number is actually more for an internal reference. Since each software is written on a case by case basis (keeping in mind the modifications, fuel , and region), you do not need to worry about ordering the wrong product.

Kind Regards,

Joel Ayson
Power Consultant
Victor,

Great minds think alike!

I was thinking about svx1997's post and his top speed results do suggest that this chip has some beneficial impact on power...

I looked our the SVX datasheet and found no real useful information - just marketing pratter. Just this evening I received an e-mail from Joel thanking me for my interest and asking me if I had any specific questions about the Gold 93 upgrade for the SVX 3.3. I sent him the following e-mail:

"Joel,

Thanks for the e-mail. I do have a few specific questions about the Powerchip group Gold 93 upgrade for my '96 SVX. In responding to my questions, there's no need to explain concepts in 'layman's terms' as I'm very familiar with performance tuning after having owned a '90 300ZX TT and a '00 SVT Lightning.

1. I checked out the datasheet for the SVX 3.3 and found no useful information - just marketing lingo. My relatively stock SVX made approx 165hp and 174ft-lbs at the wheels on an awd dyno at Altered Atmosphere (www.alteredatmoshpere.com/) in Gaithersburg, MD on 12/15 with an air fuel ratio centered around 13.4:1 in the upper rev band. With the Gold 93 upgrade, what kinda improvements in at the wheel power can I expect? Where would the 'modified' afr be in the upper rev band? How many degrees is timing advanced?

2. I live in VA (zip code 22932). I see your chip costs $490. Above this price, what would I need to pay for shipping + installation? Where's the nearest installer to my location?

3. Do you have any specials for group buys? What kinda numbers would you need to offer volume discounts? 5, 10, 20 buyers?

4. Will this product work in the '96-'97 SVXs which have an OBDII compatible ECU as opposed to the OBDI system used in the '92-'95 SVXs?

Thanks. I look forward to your response."

I'll post his reply in this thread.

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)