Thread: Subaru Diesel?
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2004, 12:00 PM

Commuter:

Bad Lifters: Looking at the service manual it looks like there is a ball check inside, but if none of that is accessible, the only thing I can think of is to make sure the holes are clear.

Temp: Temp needle has never risen past horizontal, coolant is clear, and both fans run, so I don’t suspect a temp problem.

Engine Removal: Not really in my comfort realm, too much to go wrong and too much time. It looks to me that there is room to remove the t-belt, passenger side valve cover and cams with the motor still in, just wondering if anyone else had done or attempted it. If it cannot be done, then I will have to rethink my options.

Oil Pump: I briefly considered this, but I have not seen foaming in the oil (no bubble on dipstick, unless there is a different way to tell) so I figured it wasn’t sucking air. I do have an oil leak, it is pretty small and I thing it is toward the rear of the engine (ir it is running along something and dripping in the back). I will have to see if it is coming from the oil pump. Hadn’t thought about low oil pressure, wouldn’t I get a check engine light though? How would I check for oil pressure?

Oil Treatment: I plan on trying as much of these products as I can before I do anything else, but my guess is they are all just some variant of the same thing, a petroleum distillate that is a bit more like a solvent than an oil. All of the products I see on the shelf say they quiet lifters I am just not having any luck yet and question running these “thinners” for any extended period of time.

Huck:
I was hoping I could take the lifters apart, hopefully that is possible if I need to get that far. Luckily this is on the passenger side.

If I have to open her up, I will try it in the car and make sure I post details. I don’t post much here (been a frequent lurker for over a year so I know most the “faces”). I try to use the searches for everything, but haven’t had luck with this issue so I want to make sure the info is in here.