View Single Post
Old 01-14-2010, 03:44 AM
One teal and One yellow

Re: Would you buy/use recap snow tires?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
My 2c........

Rubber degrades and dries over time, the sidewall and bead sealing surface are original in a recap tire.....therefore the most safety-vital parts of the tire can be MUCH older than the tread area.

I have personally seen tires (purchased from the local used tire dealer) blow completely out on the sidewall or bead area due to damage during mounting (dry rubber doesnt stretch, it rips) and if the person is cornering or traveling at freeway speeds, it can be fatal.
I have the same opinions with you on this. I am picky about the tires when I come to buy them, at my best budget. I don't like buying tires have the 80,000 warranty or S rated tire. I like to have something at least H rated and 30,000 to 50,000 warranty. If I can get 30,000miles out of it, I am satisfied and so I can have fresh tires every 1.5yrs to 2yrs. I don't like to have tires more than 4yrs old as I feel what you said, the sidewall rubber and tires will dry out over the times.

Now I read somewhere that some new recap tires even has new rubber on the sidewall other than new tread. The tire cast can last for a long time if you take care. If the old tire fails the test, they're not going to retread them. Also, a lot of times, the tires blow-out cases is the tires were under inflated to cause that. That's why, cars after 2006, or 2007 up, they're all equipped with TPMS (tire pressure monitor system) which I think is very good safety feature.

Again, I ain't helping retread tires because I haven't tried one yet. But, I might do more research and give them a chance when I need tires for my old cars.

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05

Last edited by SSSVX; 01-14-2010 at 04:16 AM. Reason: typo