View Single Post
Old 10-22-2014, 08:51 PM

Registered SVX
Re: soon to be back in a SVX again

update.
Slight derailiment dilemma on the hood.
I dropped it off with the painter Monday, and he was cleaning it up, and he gave me a call. Lots of little dings, imperfections.
I asked how much to fix them he said 5 hours, 275 bucks. I did see a couple ripples when I took the hood off last time, but it had so much weathering and scale from sitting out for so long at the junkyard, I thought it was good but when cleaned up obvious issues.

I didn't want to have 275 in repairs, and the 300 paint, for 575 total, not into a salvage car.
So, I went and picked up the hood.
That was monday.

My options were:
-fix the dents in the hood myself, and paint it myself with either flat black, or semi gloss black myself, to see how good the hood really can be
-go look at the 95 hood listed on car-parts, that is green (95% chance its the wrong green and or damaged too) that hood was listed at 150

So, the other day, I got some body filler bondo, and went to work. (disclaimer, I am not new to using bondo or fiberglass fillers, I have done QUITE a few cars in my life, so no this is not what you think of for a crap job, I did it right)
I was able to get the hood looking about 98+% perfect, and after spending yesterday, and today, I have got a couple coats of etching primer on it now...

Tomorrow, I am going to do a once over with wet sanding, and give it a couple coats of black, and see what i have. It will probably go on the car that way for a while, and to pass the inspection. I will decide if I should keep with this hood, and maybe spray it myself with matching 517 Polo, or leave it black and look for the better hood.

Need to at least get the car passed salvage inspection, so I can put in on the road and see what else the car is in need of....
photobucket is down for maintenance but I have pic ready to load of the hood sitting in my house letting primer cure out, too cold out side for that.

97 SVX Lsi 70k
2003 s2000
91 RT4WD 166K

Last edited by bheinen74; 10-22-2014 at 08:55 PM.