View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012, 01:47 PM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Full bushings replacement

If you look under the car and they need replacement you will probably see deformed rubber and open space between the rubber and the bracket which holds it. If they have never been replaced I'm sure they will be shot. They are replaced in pairs.

The most common ones replaced are the front control arm and rear sway bar. These can be done independently at any time.

The rear trailing arm bushings are also probably worn out. Those are the ones you can not buy from Subaru with out buying the whole arm assembly. If you are doing a rear wheel bearing replacement or shock replacement that would be an ideal time to address those ones. as most of the dis-assembly for those jobs is the same.

The rear differential bushing can also go, but this is less common. If you are dropping the diff and exhaust to get the gas tank out so you can replace the gas or brake lines then it would be an ideal time to replace the bushings.

Unless they are completely gone and the metal on metal friction has worn the metal to the point of fatigue I don't think it is a safety issue.

What you will find is that the bushings damp a lot of sound transmission to the passenger compartment, making for a much more comfortable drive. The rubber damp more sound than the poly.

The main thing replacing the bushings will do is take all the play out of the components they support. This will make the car much more responsive. Better steering feel, no slap when accelerating, firmer suspension giving better handling characteristics. The poly will give a firmer, tighter response.

Hope this helps.

Also there is a full manufacturer's SVX repair/service manual available on the site. It is well illustrated. I forget where the link is. Probably in the HOW To section.
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.

Last edited by SVX_MY_BABY; 02-28-2012 at 02:01 PM.