View Single Post
Old 05-05-2005, 06:11 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Quote:
Originally Posted by THAWA
I am trying to figure out why people like drag racing. Your comment about the accomplishment was what I was looking for. Your comments about people complaning and pussys and whatever was not what I was looking for. I'm not trying to personally attack you or anything, and you can continue to try to argue about people complaining and pussys and all that, but I'm not going to respond anymore, and I'd appreciate it if you would not either. If you'd like a thread like that I can surely make one, or you could aswell. I'm sure you think I'm some stereotypical "2nr boi" who thinks v8's are big and stupid and a vtec honda is golden, or straight line racing is boring and stupid, and autocrossing is super mad crazy fun. But if that is what you're thinking, and it sounds like that to me, you are greatly mistaken. I think I need to say this again. I am trying to understand why people like drag racing. It's no different than trying to understand why some people like to read books, or watch movies, or go bike riding, or play soccer, or go fishing. I'm not trying to compare and contrast two things, nor am I trying to say one is better than the other. I hope you can understand what I am saying as in retrospec I can see how it could be miscontrued.
Ok.

Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivemusicnow
People like drag racing because it's fun, Its universal (in the US at least) and at least in street cars, its MORE about the car than the driver. Anybody who owns a car, can drive a 1/4 mile, and get a time. Then they can practice to get a better time.
It is fun to be able to work towards a better time. You can add parts, preform work, and have a consistant unit of measure to see how their car is improving, and how their driving is improving. If I work on a car for a year and a half, and someone asks me, 'how fast is it' I could say, well, I ran an 11.4 second quarter mile at blah track, at blah temp.. etc Instant understanding of how fast the car is. you really don't have this with any other type of racing that is open to the public.

sure, saying my car ran an 8 minute nurburgring lap would be amazing... however the costs involved in that would be rediculous, and the standards are not known to people. plus in a road race such as that, the emphasis is blurred much more between driver skill, and car ability.
One of the better explanations i've heard thus far.

I still think that the best way to understand drag racing is to get a ride in fast car. Just like to understand how fun it is to drive a hot lap on a good circuit, you have to drive it. You get a whole new appreciation for things that may have seen silly before.