View Single Post
Old 04-16-2004, 07:12 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Re: (Another) failed transmission?

Quote:
Originally posted by b3lha

I just figured out the answer to my own question.

As Tony Shale found out when trying to fit a 94(?) transmission into his 91 car: Older cars have SS2 external to the transmission and Newer cars have it internal.

This accounts for the discrepancy between Harvey's undoubted expertise and what I found when working on my car.

David's car, being 1992, probably has SS2 in the front diff.

Phil.
Gid'ay Phil,

There could be differences between the models. Mine is a 95 Aust delivered, RHD, and it has the two speed sesors in the rear transfer housing. I have also the WSM for the 92/95 Aust models. This shows that the two sensors are in the rear housing, also, for all models. The front diff position for the sensor has the hole pluged up with an alloy plug.

I would think it would depend on, if it is a VTD center or a Transfer clutch. It looks likely to me that all the VTD models would have both in the back, as the no1 sensor is on the rear sun gear extension, to check the rear speed, and the output wire is on the outside. No2, sensor is inside the rear housing, to check the clutch housing speed, that is connected to the front half of the drive. Its wiring is internal with the shift solenoid loom.

As the transfer clutch model was also available as a front wheel drive, the front sensor in the front diff was retained. Our VTD was designed to be a whole new AWD. It could never be a front drive only model, so they decided to update and put both in the rear.

The 92 SVX was the first Subaru to use this AWD system, it did not appear in any other model till the B4 Liberty, and now in some of the other models. It is a completly different system to drive, as I discovered when I got a 97 AWD Liberty with the Transfer system. What a disapointment, lost that nice flow of drive through corners, as it changed from front to AWD after a long pause. I can now understand the way the handling of the US model, has been criticised by some.

I reckond that it was fitting, that our side of the world, that appreciate finer autos, should get the real thing.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.