View Single Post
Old 12-01-2003, 02:34 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Re: Parking Ticket Rant

Quote:
Originally posted by BurgundyBeast
At the same time another car (the closest car to us) had crossed over the line and HIT another car, two cars were parked in the fire lane, and one non handicapped car was in a handicapped space! I hate cops, we're fighting this one, even if it is only like a $25 ticket.
ok..let me make sure that i understand this.

one car hit another car --->ticket
2 cars were parked in the firelane ---->tickets
non-handicapped in an handicap space ---->ticket

i think all of the above should be ticketed.

if your car was just touching the white lines, i don't see why you should get a ticket.

Quote:
In 8 years I have never heard of not in the white lines on private property. We can write crash reports and theft/vandalism, but not in a space????? That's bull.
hey PA_SVX. don't get me wrong. i like cops. i have friends that are officers and i know a few chiefs and captains as well. i'm not sure that i understand your statement listed above. are you trying to say that you can write reports/tickets for accidents/theft/vandalism and that you should be able to write them for parking spaces as well?

i can fully understand the reasoning behind writing tickets for accident reports because they deal with insurance claims on private property for personal property. i can understand theft/vandalism demands reports/tickets because it is unlawful to steal and vandalize and typically insurance claims can be made to compensate for the loss. however, i can not see any reasoning behind a ticket for failing to park between the white lines. parking on the sidewalk, double parking, parking on the highway, parking on a public road not designated for parking, etc. i can understand reports/tickets for those because it can cause a hazardous situation or stop the flow of traffic. if you can cite why it's a violation and give a legitimite reason for reporting/ticketing someone who 'failed to park between the lines' then i will accept it. to me it's like saying i should get a ticket for parking sideways in my own driveway.

unless i'm mistaken, a parking lot needs to meet certain ordinances to get a permit, but not the way the parking lot is painted or sectioned. you have to have lightings for certain sized lots, handicap spots and ramps, and firelanes, but everything is left to the owner to decide, he could paint it one day and make it different another day. now i do realize that municipally owned or controlled parking lot may have some rules governing the white lines, but not a privately owned one like walmart.

i want an officer's point of view .

but i do understand that an officer can write you a ticket....whether abusing his power or not...he can do it. whether it will stand up in court is another matter. if i could live for 500 years in the same physical state i am in now, i would take some of that time to go into investigating dirty officers and those that abuse their power. i also know quite a few that does that as well.

Last edited by Noir; 12-01-2003 at 02:52 PM.