View Single Post
Old 06-21-2003, 09:27 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by TE1221
I raced a Ford explorer in the rain today. I raced him from a dead stop on a street in my development. I had him all the way up to 30 miles an hour but after that he started pulling and I left off at that speed im afraid of gear slippage. I have to adjust the screws on my shifter because the derailluer device is a little off and the chain will pop off if i push the shifter lever too hard. After that I slammed on the brakes and my wheels locked and I came to a halting stop. Then I shifted into first gear and used all my torque and horsepower to do a mini burnout but it didnt work because I had so much traction. I also tried powerbraking and using full force but I still wouldnt move. I also thought about a full neutral drop but I dont think that is possible. Maybe I need Nawwwwzzzz... j/k...

This was on my jeep mountain bike
Actually, it sounds like you need to adjust the derailleur (you were close on spelling ) limit screws, and not your shifter. There are two little screws on the back of your rear derailleur - they limit its travel right (upshift) and left (downshift).

I recommend adjusting the appropriate screw when the derailleur is shifted to the middle of the cogset. If it's resting on a set screw when you're trying to adjust it, you're more likely to strip the head off. Just try a half-turn on the right screw and then try it out. If it's not enough, then try it in half-turn increments until it does. If you find that you can't shift all the way up or down any more, or that it slips off the high (small) or low (big) gears, then you've adjusted it too far.

Bike repair isn't difficult in theory, but in practice it's an art form. My eight-year-old components shift better than any of my friends' new bikes because I know how to tweak the hell out of them.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE