View Single Post
Old 04-21-2005, 08:58 PM
The Kind of Casual SVXer

Send a message via AIM to Weebitob
Registered SVX
Well in order for touch up and prepping my, I have used 1 and a half bottles of factory touch up out of the 4 I bought for some paint gaps (not chips but total gaps where it went down below the black prep stuff to the fiber glass itself) on the spoiler where on some there was also paint peeling. So my dad told me to take a hobby knife with a brand new blade and cut off the peeling parts and over a couple of days to about a week apply about 2-3 coats. I also while I was at it apply some to some tiny stone chips in the front and bumper. Then while driving in town, my friend told me to watch out as I was pulling into a curb, unfortunately I went it too much and scraped paint off the way front bottom right part where it links with the plastic underbelly. Even though you can hardly see being the perfectionist as I am I put the rest of the bottles worth and some more putting some coats on that as well. However before that when I was looking over my car during the beginning of spring I found something I either did not see or was not even there during winter, a rust spot. Somehow there was a small spot where the paint peeled and there were loll and behold some rust streaks there, not to mention a tiny bit of paint bubbling. So I took the hobby knife and some touch up and about two weeks and 4 coats later I covered it up. This is also among other things as using WD40 on the door hinges, applying silicon grease there and on the moonroof track. After the paint coats I used two types of sand paper to smooth the coat spot and then a day later used a Turtlewax Rubbing Compound to further the process. Of I didn't do all of this one after another, it more liked spanned out in a month or a bit more.

The main question is I stupidly forgot to apply WD40 on the rust spot on the driver's side door. Is there a danger of rust spreading throughout the car under the paint causing it to bubble or do you think it is sealed enough or perhaps the zinc galvanized coating on the SVX's metal sheeting goes deep enough to protect it?