View Single Post
Old 05-23-2002, 08:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
Make sure the engine is stone cold and drive it up on a ramp or jack it up. You might also want to get one of those 10mm (or is it 12mm?) flat ratcheting wrenches. The bolts at the bottom rear are hard to get to because of the narrow space and although you can get a socket wrench in there, once you start to loosen the bolt, you won't be able to get the socket to release to back out the bolt the rest of the way. Very long handled open ended wrenches also come in handy for this.

If you move the cover slightly aft, you should be able to clear the cam gears in the front with minimal wiggling and contact. No prying of the engine block was necessary for me to remove or reinstall the driver side cover. Once you have the cover off, clean it thoroughly, but carefuly, especially in the grooves where the new seals go. Be careful of the oil filler neck and anything else that might be breakable when handling the cover. I didn't do the passenger side seals as there was no leak at the time. Oh, and the spark plug wire clips will most likely be broken, so If you want to retain the neat and organized look of the wires, you should order replacements before removing the cover, as you'll have to dig out the stubs of the old clips from the cover.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally posted by immortal_suby
I just got my package from subaruparts.com today with valve cover gaskets, all the grommets, and a couple more gaskets that are smaller under the valve covers. Any advice/ pitfalls on installing these?