View Single Post
Old 12-30-2010, 02:15 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
Re: Passenger side oil leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
You must remove the battery, and i think a couple brackets . Its been a while since I looked at a complete engine bay. I am curious why you ask? If a shop is doing the work, and they can't figure out how to do the valve covers, maybe you should no longer be their customer. I believe the book says to pull the engine to do valve covers. It's not necessary, but for a well equipped/experienced shop it is probably quicker that way.
I know he removed the battery but he had to "jack up the engine" a little to get all of the bolts out. He didn't have to remove the entire engine though. One thing I did notice when I got home was that he didn't snap the spark plug wire clips back into the covers. I know the plastic is old and brittle so maybe he just figured they would break and not stay in anyways or maybe he tried but they broke on him. The engine was hot so I didn't attempt to snap them back in myself yet. On the plus side, they charged less than $200 in labor to do both covers and the PCV.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything