View Single Post
Old 11-04-2008, 06:34 AM
What do you mean wrong SVX?

Re: 24 hour race?? maybe

I remember about 2 years ago that a group of Acura techs entered a stock TL-S that was only stripped, and they won by 50-something laps. I'd say don't bother with a swap (though I've seen 3 eg33 GC8 Imprezas in person and plenty more online...it's all the new rage right now) and just go with stripping the hell out of an SVX, and maybe a 5spd swap from there. If you can, try and find a 5spd STI transmission. I have a RA-R gearbox that I'm going to rebuild within the next year, and I'm caught between using it on the SVX or EG33 Impreza swap.

Stock, they are capable of holding 350whp without breaking a sweat, and you can wire in the DCCD from the V5 Type R coupe (that's what mine came out of) it came in. A used one typically runs in the 900-1200 range, which is a couple of hundered more than the wrx glass gearbox, and A LOT less than the STI's 6spd, specifically the (I believe it was) 05+ STI, which has the sought after gear ratios instead of the useless first/second gearing of the older ones.

If I recall correctly, someone here was able to take the SVX's weight down to somewhere in the 2700lb range, which is roughly 100lbs lighter than a stock 2.5RS coupe. The SVX's naturally aspirated mill puts out roughly the same amount of the turbocharged one availible in a stock WRX (until next year :P). From there, you could probably go with some headwork(we have so much to gain from losing our non-interference setup), either the ECUtune stg II or some kind of standalone, weight reduction (you'll save plenty on not having to have to upgrade brakes, less tirewear, etc.), and weld up some kind of intake/precat/exhaust combo to spec (if there is spec) in the competition. It'll be a fairly cheap and fairly reliable track car.

This post might've been a captain obvious move, but w/e. Cheapest way to victory.