View Single Post
Old 03-17-2017, 07:12 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Re: 17" or 18" wheels

Wheel sizing is pretty subjective. I've had 17" STi wheel on the SVX for almost 10 years (wow, has it really been that long?!), but now that I own another car with 18's and have friends with 19's I'm starting to long for an upgrade.

In terms or pros/cons:

17" tires are a bit cheaper and have basically the same selection as the larger wheels, so performance gains from going up a size are minimal.
17" has a nominally taller sidewall giving you a more comfortable ride and better wheel protection from pot holes.
17" wheel/tire combo is theoretically lighter but only when comparing two of the same wheel and tire sets. There are big enough differences in weight between brands and styles of both wheels and tires that it's a crap shoot to try and guess.
18" offer better clearance if you ever want to do a big brake package.

So I guess empirically 17's have the advantage. But really it's all about looks and whatever looks best to you.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl