View Single Post
Old 05-16-2018, 05:19 AM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX
Re: Replacement Parts Development Fund

To clarify, Steve:

Vendors and fabricators should not be part of the decision making itself. So let's say we get some funding through donations. We now have to put those funds to work, i.e pay a fabricator for prototyping (measurements, molds, testing etc). Just to avoid all potential conflicts of interest, the decision makers should have no commercial interests at all, allowing us to decide:
  • Which development would we fund next?
  • Who would we select to develop the replacement?

That said, having fabricators and vendors real close is paramount to success, especially those who are involved with the community. Your opinions and thoughts about what can be done will be very imporant. The board might put 5 parts on a shortlist and then pick the final project(s) based on fabricator / vendor feedback on pricing and time to market.

We cannot expect to work with only huge aftermarket players like Denso, NGK, Bridgestone etc.. you smaller specialty vendors are most likely those who will do the job. And the fund would be there to take most of your development cost, meaning you don't have to take a big risk. Maybe it's "only" a week's worth of job to develop the part, but you are not guaranteed a huge sales volume, right?

And that's why we need 5 people who don't make or sell anything, just to stay unbiased and (hopefully) make the best decisions on behalf of everyone. Noone should have to question our integrity.

Yes, this means good people, perhaps even the most right people, are somewhat put onto the sideline as to how those community funds are used. That's the price we pay to stay uncontroversial when spending other people's money.

Fabricators like yourself will influence the decision making by setting prices, quality levels, availbility etc..

I hope this sounds sensible to you.
I'm ready to f...

Last edited by svxcess; 10-02-2018 at 12:39 PM.