View Single Post
Old 07-18-2009, 08:05 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Copy of jamsvx2 yahoo page

There are two variants of the SVX whose existence has been hotly debated in the Yahoo SVX club since its inception: the 4ws SVX and the twin-turbo SVX.

Dealing firstly with the 4ws SVX, the origins of this concept came from the original concept car that was shown at the Tokyo Motor Show in 1988 (insert link to prototype) and which was almost identical to the production SVX but for the omission of active suspension, 4ws, visual display/touch screen controls and rudimentary voice activation.

Although the existance of the 4ws model had been dismissed for a long time on the Yahoo SVX Club site, two factors, both connected, led the emergence of information on the 4ws SVX. Firstly, Australia in recent years has seen a veritable flood of "grey import" cars that were released only in the Japanese domestic market such as the JC Cosmo triple rotor-coupe, GTO's, Lancer Evolution, Nissan March's (turbosupercharged coupe!), Cedrics, Gloria's, Silvia's and so forth. A common trend that I noticed was the incidence of 4ws in these models...even the Nissan Pulsar came in a 4ws model in Japan! As I result, I myself believed it to be highly probable that a 4ws SVX existed since it is only in recent years that the amazing cars of the JDM have become more widely known. The scan on the 4ws mechanism that I found by sheer luck in a tuning shop here in Sydney confirmed my suspicisions.

Secondly, New Zealand imports a tremedous number of used Japanese cars and just recently, I was able to trade an Australian Spec owners manual for a Japanese owners manual that contained of all things, the pages below!! Britain has now also seen the import of "greys" from Japan and also, as you will have seen on the message boards, SVX's with 4ws....and also problems with the steering mechanism.

How much more proof do you need! This picture has been around for some time now but its accuracy was doubted to a large degree. However, you can now not only see this warning light in the scan below of the JDM instrumentation but can also read as to what it means when it is lit.

It appears that the SVX 4WS was in the Version L of the SVX in Japan.

The Proof that I found....by sheer luck!
Prior to actual 4ws SVX's becoming known through the purchase thereof by SVXer's in Britain and New Zeland and who are also online, the page to the left was the first diagram that I know of to have emerged on the WEB that showed the actual mechanism of the 4WS SVX.

It is from a Japanese tuning/technical book that I managed to pick here in Sydney and which not only shows the 4ws mechanism but also information on the suspension and ABS.

Just on a curiosity note, the book also shows the top-spec Toyota Soarer or Lexus SC400 (depending on the market) as having, would you believe, an active 'radar' suspension! It appears to 'map' the road ahead and adjust the suspension moments before reaching that spot! Cool to show your friends but I suspect imminent bankruptcy to repair!

TRANSLATION!!! Thank Paddlesnz! 29 May 2001
Thanks to Paddlesnz, there is now a translation of the diagram! For an unaltered orginal scan, click here or for a translated version click here! (I seperated them so that people could get both versions!)

The pages below came from the Japanese Domestic Market owners manual for the SVX which clearly shows commentary on the 4ws mechanism and also the instrumentation on the dashboard. Note: if anyone can translate this, please email me and I will post the translation with appropriate acknowledgements!

Update! As of 18 April 2001, Paddlesnz, an SVXer in Gunma Japan, has translated the pages below. Many thanks!

"4WS (4 Wheel Steering) System.

Up till now, 4WS systems have been based on systems that turn the rear wheels directly as a result of the front wheels turning. Subaru 4WS is an all electric system which turns the rear wheels and is engaged automatically as a result of steering wheel input and vehicle speed sensors"

"4WS Driving Method.

During high speed driving, when the steering wheel is turned, the rear wheels will change in the same direction as the front wheels. Consequently, the vehicle will change direction in less time and less space, allowing for safer driving.

*The system does not operate at very low speeds.

*Even with 4WS, overtaking accidents can still happen. When overtaking, please allow enough space between the vehicle being overtaken and don't turn the steering wheel suddenly. During heavy traffic and the like, please drive carefully.

*Corners have speed limits. Even with 4WS, please slow down to an appropriate speed before entering a corner.

"25 4WS Check Light.

This will light up when the ignition switch is in the 'ON' position and once the engine has been started, it should go out.

NOTE: Should the light not come on when the ignition is in the ON position or should it come on while driving, this indicates a problem with the system. Please take the vehicle to an authorised repair centre as soon as possible".

1973 1400 GSR Yelo 2 Door Coupe awaiting Restoration

Last edited by subbieatnz; 07-19-2009 at 08:13 AM.